Monday, June 18, 2012

To Have...or... NOT to Have

When do I decide not to bring another pet into my life?

This is a question throughout my life that I have never contemplated. I can’t imagine not having an animal companion with me forever.

I certainly don’t consider myself old, but at what age would I say perhaps I shouldn’t have another dog or cat? Perhaps it’s not an age, but more about circumstance within one’s life.

Right now life with my babies is good. It’s my Alaskan Malamutes second birthday TODAY! His name is Dozer. 

IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!



I know we will have many happy years together, but when that horrible time comes, will my husband and I consider having another Malamute in our lives? I’m not sure and that’s a tough thought to swallow.

Maybe it’s a matter of owning smaller animals, ones that don’t require a ten-kilometer run everyday.

Daisy is my little Bichon Shih Tzu, who is eleven year’s old. She actually belonged to my mom and dad. When my mom was about 67 year’s old I thought it would be a good idea to get her a little pup for her anniversary. You see mom and dad have also had pets all their lives, and it seemed to me that a pup would give my mom something to focus on other than her aches and pains. I also knew she’d enjoy taking her new baby for little walks, which would be beneficial.

Mom and dad were happy to have her, and we agreed that it seemed to be the best gift they could have received, but after a couple years mom’s health deteriorated to the point where they needed to move to a senior’s lodge. Of course there wasn’t even a moment’s hesitation, Daisy would come live with us. At the same time I believed I’d made a horrible mistake. I’d given them this little baby that they loved to death, and now I had to take her away.

So at what point do you know when you shouldn’t have an animal? Perhaps mom and dad knew, but I interfered. All of that said everything turned out extremely well. Daisy loves our home and mom and dad get to see her all the time.

Have you contemplated the same thoughts? What did you decide and how are living with your decisions? I don’t think my stuffed animals are going to be able to fill the void.





2 comments:

  1. I had to let go of my baby poochie (well, he was eleven, but he was my perennial baby) earlier this year when it became clear that he was in too much pain to continue living. That was the hardest decision I had ever made, because we're choosing life or death for an entity that is quite alive but unable to articulate in human language what he would personally want.

    Afterwards, I debated whether it was a good idea to get another dog (that, by default, would die before I did and would break my heart all over again) but we had a second dog already, and she saved my life. I adore my poochie girl.

    But taking on another baby is a huge decision. The commitment is astronomical. People make these decisions lightly and then they have to abandon the pet when they can no longer provide for them.

    So, to answer your question, I would say if you can take care of a pet and there is room in your life for one, the joys and the unconditional love of a pet (particularly a rescue) are well worth the future pain and heartbreak. If you may not have the resources to look after a pet and ensure someone else can take care of them if you can't, then I would say the responsible thing is to not get a pet. Volunteer at the local shelter or donate a few bucks where you can, but it's painful all around to dive into that decision on a whim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joanna,
    So nice of you to leave a message. I recently had a redesign done on my site, so unfortunately, I lost all the other posts people left for me. My gosh...I cried a lot reading people's stories of loss.

    To say I LOVE ANIMALS would be an understatement! I can't imagine life without them. But you are so correct to take an animal into ones life means you are doing so for the remainder of that pet's life...NO MATTER WHAT! I'm a firm believer in that.

    You are so right though...it also means that at sometime they will be gone from our lives and that pain is unbearable.

    Thanks so much for stopping by Joanna!

    ReplyDelete